We're now Pagans!


Erbas has now been sold and we've moved onwards and upwards to a Westerly 33 ketch we've renamed "Pagan"

Come and visit our new blog at svpagan.blogspot.co.uk

Tuesday 14 October 2014

Blackwater Booze Cruise Day 5

(Tuesday)

It had always been part of the plan for this week to spend two days, three nights, at Heybridge and this was the second of those days

Our major need today was diesel and the easiest way of getting some was by dinghy up to the Tesco Extra store in Heybridge

So after a leisurely breakfast of superbly cooked bacon butties (it's not hard) we set about blowing up the dinghy. Well I say we but if course I really mean I set about blowing up the dinghy

Having knackered myself blowing it up (what price an electric inflator?) I dropped the outboard onto the transom and, after Glen added some two stroke oil to the can, topped up the outboard tank with fresh petroil

To my considerable relief the beasty fired up without further ado and ran happily. Chucking the diesel cans and the spare petrol aboard, we set out up the Chelmer and Blackwater Canal.

The weather was just about holding off as we motored along with just the occasional interruption to our progress to clear weeds off the outboard leg

We duly arrived at the landing stage provided by Tesco and leaving Glen to mind the dinghy I soon procured two cans of diesel from the petrol station.

Back we motored to the basin to pour the cans intro the tank which took the fuel gauge to the halfway mark.d

Reckoning we now had enough for about twenty hours motoring, and with the weather looking reasonable, we decided to make a second run and put the issue of diesel beyond doubt for the rest of the week



I refilled the cans whilst Glen grabbed sine essential supplies from the store and then off we went again

We ran out of petrol half way back to the basin but this wasn't a problem. I'd anticipated that we would and had the fuel and the funnel to refill the outboard on board. I now know that we can go about four miles on a tank of fuel at full chat

Full chat, by the way, gave us 4.3kts over the ground with two fat buggers on board. Knocking the throttle back to two thirds gave 3.4kts and probably better economy but we haven't tested that



Arriving back at the basin, we clambered back aboard Erbas and chucked the larger can into the tank which brought the gauge up to the three quarters mark. The 5l can went in the locker full as a reserve.

I also chucked 50ml of diesel treatment in the tank to protect against diesel bug. We need to top off the tank before the winter to minimise condensation in the tank but sufficient to the day thereof

I gave the rather grubby dinghy a scrub and then tidied up on deck whilst Glen had did a spot of housekeeping in the cabin

Martin, the lockkeeper, rang me to confirm our departure in the morning and we arranged that I'd pop to the office about 5-ish to settle up

That done, I had a wash and brush up on board whilst Glen rustled up a very tasty ham paella sort of thing. Whatever it was, it was very tasty and didn't stay on the plate very long!

Washing up done it was off to the pub for some more excellent Broadside and inconsequential natter

Having made up my mind that we're heading back to the Crouch tomorrow, I've now had second thoughts. Maybe we'll go to Wivenhoe instead!

I'll make up my mind when the sun comes up which is a good hour and a half after we lock out of the basin in the morning

No comments:

Post a Comment