We're now Pagans!


Erbas has now been sold and we've moved onwards and upwards to a Westerly 33 ketch we've renamed "Pagan"

Come and visit our new blog at svpagan.blogspot.co.uk

Sunday 19 January 2014

RYA Yachtmaster Theory Course - day 1

Today, after the usual morning gallon of coffee, I did what I've been pondering doing for some weeks now and booked the on-line version of the RYA Yachtmaster Theory course with Splash Sea School.

At a cost of £293.00 it's not particularly cheap but you do get a fairly extensive study pack of practice charts, reference materials and so on. Whilst you don't get face time with an instructor like you would on classroom based course, you can study in your own time and get any help you need via email, Skype etc. which suits me better than taking time off work for study when I'd rather be sailing!

I'm kind've hoping, if not actually expecting, that I already know most of the theory fairly well. The course will, I hope, consolidate the knowledge I've gained ad-hoc from books etc. and fill in any gaps plus it will also force me to make the effort to memorise stuff that I tend to be lazy about remembering ...

Stuff like day shapes and lights!

Pending the arrival of the course materials, one of the modules I could tackle straight away was the Collision Regulations section. I worked my way through it without any qualms but on taking the practice paper I wasn't surprised to find myself a bit uncertain about the more complex lights and shapes. Is it a tow? A fishing boat? A dredger? Hmmm ... gonna have to do some revision I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment