We're now Pagans!


Erbas has now been sold and we've moved onwards and upwards to a Westerly 33 ketch we've renamed "Pagan"

Come and visit our new blog at svpagan.blogspot.co.uk

Monday 20 January 2014

RYA Yachtmaster Theory Course - day 2

By the way, I feel obliged to mention that I am not planning on tackling the course on a daily basis! It just happens that work patterns gave me the free time to have a crack at two modules on two consecutive days!

Anyway, whilst I await the arrival of the course materials, the other module "do-able" without was the Meterology (a.k.a. weather) one. I took my time with this because it's an area of knowledge I felt particularly weak at.

I kind've grasped already the basics of highs and lows, and the resulting isobars on synoptic charts but I've always struggled to understand frontal systems and how air pressure relates to actual weather (other than that a high is "good" and a low is "bad")

Having worked through the course module I felt somewhat wiser but still a bit baffled so I searched on the Kindle app and found a book by Frank Singleton, a former Met Office man who posts on the YBW forums. I've got up Frank's nose once or twice by moaning about the useless inaccuracy of the Met shipping and coastal forecasts so hopefully buying his book will make up for it!

I shall peruse the book thoroughly over the next day or two before taking the practice paper on this module and I still need to keep brushing up on my lights and shapes. Busy, busy, busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment