We're now Pagans!


Erbas has now been sold and we've moved onwards and upwards to a Westerly 33 ketch we've renamed "Pagan"

Come and visit our new blog at svpagan.blogspot.co.uk

Sunday 11 May 2014

2014 Spring Cruise - Day 3 Geekery

The top secret Raspberry Pi project is coming along and starting to look rather tidy but you'll have to wait for a while for more info on that

Meanwhile I've been having "fun" with the more conventional technology discovering that none of the software I've purchased that ostensibly works with the Raymarine chart plotter actually communicates with it properly.

Even Raymarines' own piece of rubbish masquerading as a finished programme is frankly pants with more bugs than a hot summer night in the jungle. And as for PC Plotter, which cost a great deal of money indeed, I'm very annoyed to discover that it fails to save waypoint icons to the transfer file at all and nor does it transfer waypoint group information

So I'm having to mess about exporting the routes and waypoints from PC Plotter into Raymarines' Planner, correct the missing info and re-export the file again, then I have to load it into the plotter and correct the errors that the Raymarine software introduces (duplicate waypoints mainly)

A process that should take but a few moments is taking ages. It's no wonder some people are put off technology by this sort of idiocy and it's totally avoidable

And now I've got that off me chest, and tomorrows route loaded into the chart plotter and verified, I shall retire to my berth ... that's assuming I don't decide to go and do something about the creaky fender that'll be inches from my head first!

No comments:

Post a Comment