We're now Pagans!


Erbas has now been sold and we've moved onwards and upwards to a Westerly 33 ketch we've renamed "Pagan"

Come and visit our new blog at svpagan.blogspot.co.uk

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Just another weekend in paradise

Well, perhaps not actually paradise but it beats working for a living

We had a good run down on Friday morning. Heaving the RIB down the pontoon was an effort but soon enough we were aboard and tucked up in the v-berth

I slept quite well and the afternoon was half gone when I surfaced. Toby and Paul were just starting to clear some space on the pontoon ready for the weekend so I swiftly got myself and Erbas into gear and shifted off our buoy onto the inside of the pontoon

Shortly thereafter I spotted that people were starting to put dinghys onto the new tender dock so Jane and I got in sharpish and bagged a handy spot quick!



It was rather a pleasant evening as we walked up to the pub for food and beer. People wax lyrical about the light in Cornwall and the scenery in Scotland and so on but Essex is forever condemned to be associated with TOWIE and Bluewater.

For me Essex is about skies like that!

Fed and watered, we retired reasonably early.

Arising quite late, we breakfasted and then set about some chores. Jane tackled the below decks housework whilst I dig out the sailmaking kit to mend a tear in the UV strip on the genoa



I'm not sure how it happened, and given the amount of wear I'm not sure when either, but a stitch in time would save an expensive bill from the sailmaker!

Using a patch of self adhesive sail repair tape, lace stitched around the edges, will keep it going for the remainder of the season.



Although the UV strip is recent, I think we'll have it redone over the winter. It doesn't match the sprayhood and mainsail cover, which are a darker blue, and that I find unaccountably irritating!

It's also showing clear signs of chafing on the vicinity of the tear so I think I'll ask whoever I get to service the sail to add some reinforcement in that spot

With that done we made ready to receive guests. Michael had contacted me some weeks ago via the YBW forums to pick my brains (good luck with that one!) about Sabre 27s and making the switch from dinghy sailing to coastal cruising.

Upshot of that conversation had been my inviting Michael and his wife Jill out for a genteel run down to Burnham as a taster of what life aboard a small cruising yacht might be like

They arrived about an hour before high water and over a cup of tea we showed then over the boat and her systems. This included the safety equipment, of course, which led to further conversation about the risks, both real and perceived.

The tide turned, as the tide does, and we got underway tacking downriver in a gentle easterly breeze. We had a decent sail although in truth the tide was doing a lot of the work!

As we came abeam the yacht harbour I suggested switching to motor for a quick run down to the Branklet Buoy to get a look at the lower river whilst still making it on time for dinner

That we did and then we motored back on the North side of the river to give our guests a closer look at Burnham from the river.

I'd already arranged a berth in the Yacht Harbour by phone earlier in the day so we were straight in and without further ado we quickly made ready for a run ashore

We were only a little late for the table Michael and Jill had booked at the White Hart. As we've previously noted, the food was excellent if a little pricey and the atmosphere most pleasant

Our guests had to walk back up to the car park on the outskirts of town due to it being the annual Burnham Carnival. I think they'd had a worthwhile afternoon and hopefully we've helped them on the first steps to taking up cruising under sail
We walked back to the marina through the crowds and the overspill from the fairground on the park. Spotting lights on aboard Laurin we quietly called "hello" and immediately proceeded to finish off the last of the red wine and Jura whisky!

Our voices were, however, disturbing the sleeping little ones (and one big one, it was way past Patrick's bedtime!) so Karen popped aboard Erbas for a final dash of rum.

Next morning we awoke a little late and the boat jumble was already underway. The were a couple of temptations to be resisted and one that I couldn't resist...



I've long wanted to have a crack at astro nav and with an Ebbco plastic sextant for £20 now I can. The Bosun will also enjoy playing with it I'm sure.

After a quick wash and brush up we headed up to the Swallowtail with the Laurins and their friends James and Henry for an excellent Sunday roast

We had to get our skates on afterwards though as the tide would turn in a couple of hours and thrashing back upriver against a big spring ebb tide, whilst doable, isn't an attractive proposition

We had a very nice sail as it happened. The easterly breeze was light but steady enabling me to keep the sails drawing even when goosewinged and the day was warm and even sunny at times

Arriving back at Fambridge we dosed and idled away the rest of the afternoon before heading for the pub for several drinks.

The breeze had died as night descended and we had a quiet night in calm conditions. It rained as I was contemplating getting up but it held off while we offloaded the few odds and ends that needed to go home despite the delays caused by my tendency to stop and chat instead of getting on with it!

I'd already retrieved the tender from the new tender dock and we neatly picked up our mooring, closed valves and 1switches and shut up, shut down etc as appropriate before running back ashore

Landing on the new dock proved as convenient as the launch although I have suggested the addition of a cleat or two at the bottom of the ramp to make fast to

And that was that. Just a fortnight now before Glen and I have a whole week aboard.

3 comments:

  1. Bru

    If you have a reasonably tough sewing machine you can replace the sacrificial strip yourself. Use Odyssey fabric from Kayospruce, and V69 thread and size 16or 18 needles. I have some really good videos that I can share if you are interested.

    I hae replaced a complete strip on a Genoa and am about half way through the second. I will be doing our normal Genoa durinf the winter.

    If all else fails buy a stich ripper and remove the old strip. Takes a long time, but can be done in front of the television. Might save you the sailmakers time! Nudge Nudge!!!!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't got a tough sewing machine, can't sew, ought to learn, cost / benefit analysis leans me towards chucking it at a sailmaker and spending the time earning money doing what I know how to do. OTOH, if I find myself with time on my hands...

      Delete