We're now Pagans!


Erbas has now been sold and we've moved onwards and upwards to a Westerly 33 ketch we've renamed "Pagan"

Come and visit our new blog at svpagan.blogspot.co.uk

Thursday 14 May 2015

A rainy day in paradise

Well, Essex ain't so bad if you avoid Bluewater!

For some unknown reason I was awake by 4am and after trying to get off the sleep again unsuccessfully gave up and put the kettle on

The day dawned to a clear blue sky but it wasn't to last. By the time I was ready to stir my stumps it had clouded over and the forecast rain due at lunchtime was clearly inpatient to arrive.

I'd hoped to be working today but the job hadn't materialised so I set about turning Erbas around and mooring her stern first so I could sand the rubbing strakes at the stern and to port

With the other half of the finger berth we've been in all winter occupied by a decent sized motorboat, it was easier to sneak into the vacant pair of berths two over.

This will also enable me to pull her across from one finger to the other even when the tide is low (at this end of the marina, although we usually stay afloat, access into the berths isn't on for about two hours either side of high water)

That done, I set about the stern rubbing strake with the sander and then moved onto the port side. I didn't get far before the rain arrived and put a stop to exterior work.

The lack of sleep led to a spell of fitful dozing but it wasn't helping much so I made a move and headed to Maplins in Chelmsford. I needed the bits to knock up an NMEA to USB connector for the chap a few berths down from us and whilst there I picked up a couple of switches for a little mod to our own wiring.

By the time I got back to Fambridge the rain was clearly set in for the day and I settled down to read a book then later put in a practice session on the travel guitar.

A sandwich sufficed for tea, I'd had a canned breakfast and several snacks so didn't feel like cooking and then it was back to the book.

The rain eventually eased off just after ten and I was able to nip out on deck to deal with a squeaky fender and tapping flag halyard

Hopefully, the weather will improve tomorrow and I can get the sanding finished and the first coat of Woodskin on.

Despite a certain amount of Michael taking from the local sailing barge fraternity ( :)), I prefer a bit of brightwork to the dull look of untreated teak and once done the annual maintenance of it will be nothing compared to the half an acre of teak inside that needs regular attention!

A frustrating day.

No comments:

Post a Comment