We're now Pagans!


Erbas has now been sold and we've moved onwards and upwards to a Westerly 33 ketch we've renamed "Pagan"

Come and visit our new blog at svpagan.blogspot.co.uk

Monday 11 May 2015

Victualling Weekend Days 2 & 3

I'd had a bad night with indigestion which kept me awake until four in the morning. The only thing I've found that settles this bad stomach I get one in a while is good old Andrews Liver Salts.

In the end, I got up, put on my trousers and went in search of some. Asda in South Woodham Ferrets, which I could have sworn was 24 hour (I've certainly shopped there around 5am) was shut so I ended up at the big Tesco in Maldon

That sorted out the problem and I managed about three hours sleep before Jane arose

The big mission for the day on Saturday was to go through all the lockers and make a list of dry stores needed

Then it was off to Morrisons in Maldon to fill a trolley up. We tend to go a bit over the top on ships stores so we deliberately restricted ourselves to a small trolley!

Whilst there, I refilled the diesel cans at the garage.

Back aboard we organised and stowed the galley stores and checked all the lockers. I also reorganised the two lockers above the starboard settee to combine the contents of the two of them into one locker (with a few items to go elsewhere) as the aft of those two lockers is supposed to be for the use of crew sleeping in the saloon.

Then, to my surprise, the entire contents of the two cans went into the diesel tank. That's 34 litres into a nominal 55 litre tank. The gauge was at about 3/4 when I started filling, the first 17l took it to full, the second to the stop and beyond. The tank isn't brimmed yet although it must be close.

So it looks as though, roughly, when the gauge drops off the stop to the full mark we're probably already down a third of the tank at least. It's not a problem, I just need to work out what the gauge is telling me! I do know it's non-linear because, as the previous owner did warn us, the tank is tapered.

More diesel will be procured when I'm back down for work next week.

By the time all that had been done, it was time to get dinner on. Jane cooked us a delicious lamb casserole which we washed down with a slightly disappointing bottle of Aussie red. Drinkable but not great. (I think I'll get online and order up half a case, or even a case, of our favourite red)

We followed that up with a chocolate sponge pud topped with strawberries and cream. Decadent or what!

I'd downloaded the final episode of Poldark on the laptop and we sat down to watch it. I thought it a bit of a weak finale given how good the series has been. Not sure why, it just wasn't gripping. Hey ho, series two should follow next year and is been a good watch.

We weren't overly late to bed so I was surprised to find it was half past eight when I awoke on Sunday. There was no time for breakfast, we had things to do!

Jane needed a shower to save time later so she headed off to the facilities whilst I offloaded what needed to come off the boat and made a trip to our lock store.

Things not needed went in, the No.2 jib, which we've never tried, came out. That went into the port sail locker because I intend to give it a try while we're away.

Then it was tidy up and shut down before hitting the road to Braintree via a stop for coffee and scoff.

The diversion was to pick up a box trailer from my brothers friend John. They're both members of Essex waterway recovery group and the groups work trailer had become surplus to requirements. It's ideal for my business needs and will serve nicely in place of a van.



We finally made it home around two on the afternoon leaving Jane very little time to catch some sleep before work.

I'll be back aboard before the end of the week and then we're off on the big adventure in a fortnight. Oh and there's the small matter of my first gig in four years at the Fambridge River Festival a week on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment